The Environmental Work Group recently updated their list of the cleanest produce, which tests show the least amount of pesticide residues.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) analyzes USDA data on the chemicals found on grocery store produce. Then, the watchdog organization compiles it into an easy-to-digest list of fruits and veggies that tended to contain the most and least pesticides in the past year.
* A small amount of sweet corn, papaya and summer squash sold in the United States is produced from genetically modified seeds. Buy organic varieties of these crops if you want to avoid genetically modified produce.
EWG’s Clean Fifteen 2021
Weekday workday lunches are a no-brainer when I take a little time out of my Sunday afternoon and pre-make salads. When Monday rolls around it’s grab and go.
I prep the same veggies pretty consistently with the protein being the variable. Beans are always an easy go-to addition. I like firm, meaty kidney beans, pintos and cannellinis. Sometimes I add chopped up chickpea patties, grilled tofu, tempeh or burgers from the night before. That’s the wild card that keeps it interesting for me.
- Romaine or leaf lettuce washed, chopped and dried (I use a salad spinner)
- Fresh spinach leaves (optional)
- Cucumbers or zucchini, chopped or sliced
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- Carrots, shredded or diced
- Celery, sliced or chopped
- Red onion, diced or sliced
You’ll notice that most of the veggies on the list are affordable and easy to find year-round. That’s the idea. No excuses.
Often I will make homemade VINAIGRETTE which is simple, fresh and also cheap!
Knowing I am getting a healthy dose of fresh vitamins, fiber, water and antioxidants is one less thing to be concerned about during a busy period of days. And there is never a week that goes by that I am not glad I took that bit of time to set myself up for success!
Great job on your meal prep. That is definitely one thing I need to work on to be healthier. I work at a restaurant, so I’m going to take home some reusable containers.. at least thats a start. Haha :}
The best thing we do every week to set ourselves up for success 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!
Talking of poison on foods, I recently was served a “Caramelised Banana” which had butane taste, I mean WTF kind of chef sends out fuel laden banana?
Oh, no…that sounds terrible!
You must log in to post a comment.