Where I am getting my lean, mean protein lately? Why lentils, of course! These friendly little legumes pack 18 grams of protein per cup. Here is a delicious way to prepare them!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or water)
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. finely minced ginger
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup curry vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Saute celery, onion, carrot, garlic, and ginger in oil (or water) until soft (about 10 minutes). Stir in lentils, water, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat until lentils are tender, but still whole.
Remove the lentils from the heat, draining any excess water if necessary. Set aside and allow to cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the dressing.
- ½ cup olive oil (see note below)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. shallots
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. black pepper
Method: Whisk together the vinegar, spices and sugar. Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking constantly. When oil and vinegar are well incorporated, whisk in the shallots, jalapeño and garlic.
While still warm, toss the lentils with 1/4 cup dressing and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Can be served warm or cold. Yield: about 4 servings.
Note: If you are cutting back on oil, feel free to substitute water for some of the oil. The dressing will still taste great.