Sometimes cooking is the most enjoyable when I really don’t have to cook, but I just want to. Certain dishes say comfort to me and this is one of them. This recipe is not only quick and easy but it’s also cheap and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Indian Curry Rice with Peas
(Servings: 6, or so)
- 1 med Onion, yellow, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced, heaping
- Handful shredded carrots (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 cup white rice, Jasmine or Basmati or long grain
- 1 ½ tsp. Curry powder
- 1 cup Peas, frozen
- 1 3/4 cups Vegetable broth (or water)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
|Saute onions and garlic. Add a handful of shredded carrots (optional).
Add rice and coat with oil, stir. Add curry to coat and reduce a bit.
Stir in vegetable broth (or water) and bring to a low boil, then reduce to simmer.
Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes.
Remove lid and add peas. Drape with towel and steam, off heat 5 minutes. This will warm the peas and they will keep their color and also bring down the dish temperature and stop the cooking process.
Fluff with fork.
Check salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!