Another super simple recipe! I’ve made this recipe for my family, not all of whom are vegan and I’ve made it for newly transitioned clients. It’s unanimous–they all love it!
Big chunks of earthy mushrooms and onions in a savory, creamy gravy that tastes almost identical to its traditional counterpart.
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance non-dairy margarine (or olive oil)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces Cremini, white or mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped and/or sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable stock, cold, or at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup plant-based sour cream or cashew cream
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Tamari
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Cooking sherry (optional)
- 8 ounces egg-free pasta or macaroni, cooked to your liking
In a medium-sized skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil or margarine with a pinch of salt, until tender.
Add mushrooms and sauté over medium heat until softened.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the sour cream (or cashew cream) together with the flour. This will be the creamy thickening agent. Set aside.
When mushrooms are finished, pour in 1 cup of the veggie stock and bring to a low simmer, stirring gently. Whisk the other 1/2 cup stock into the sour cream mixture just to incorporate.
Using your whisk, slowly add the sour cream mixture to the pan, moving the mushrooms to one side so you can make the sauce. Whisk gently until well incorporated and continue to cook on low heat until sauce begins to thicken.
Now stir in the liquid flavorings. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
Serve immediately over freshly cooked pasta.