By the time I finish my morning coffee, I’m thinking about what I want to cook for the day. This is a constant–whether or not I even have time to cook at home. I am still thinking and planning for when I get back to my kitchen.
And it’s not necessarily a plan requiring an elaborate list of ingredients, or even a trip to the store. Most often I consider what I can do with the various components I already have in my pantry, fridge and freezer. Kind of a daily mystery box challenge.
I’ve been dreaming of creating these muffins for over a week now. The combination of blueberry and cardamom just sounds so nice. Today is the day.
Blueberry Cardamom Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground cardamom seed (optional)
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, unthawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan, either with liners or a light coating of oil.
- In a large measuring cup, use a fork to mix together the milk, flaxseeds, and vinegar. Mix for about a minute, until it appears foamy. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture. Add the banana and vanilla to the well and stir together. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened (do not overmix). Fold in the berries.
- Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full and bake for 22 to 26 minutes, or until a knife inserted through the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool completely, about 20 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges of each muffin to remove them from the pan.
The verdict? A tasty, aromatic muffin bursting with juicy berries and whole grains. Lightly sweet and fat free, they make a perfect snack or light breakfast.