This dish can be put together in 30 minutes or less but tastes like it’s been simmering for hours. My secret is a homemade cajun spice mix I always keep on hand for a quick kick of flavor! You can also use Emeril’s Essence right off the shelf.
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tbsp. Cajun spice mix, homemade or store-bought (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced medium
- 1 medium tomato, diced (or 3/4 cup canned, undrained)
- 1 14-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. Earth Balance non-dairy margarine
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Hot cayenne pepper sauce (optional)
Prepare the tofu. Cut block horizontally across to make two slabs. Sprinkle both sides liberally with 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning. Sear in a hot pan coated lightly with a bit of canola oil, about 5 minutes on each side (cast iron is ideal). Remove from pan and set aside. Cut into bite-sized cubes or strips.
Add canola oil to the pan and sauté scallions, celery and bell pepper until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Add tomato, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning and margarine, stirring until melted. Reduce heat to medium low. Toss in the rice and beans and heat through. Lastly, add the tofu back into the pan and stir occasionally until heated through. Adjust seasoning, adding more Cajun spice as desired. Garnish with reserved scallions. Serve hot sauce on the side.
Cajun Spice Mix
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container.