Muffins are a happy little baking project. Quick breads are meant to be simple, tasty and portable. These little gems are that and so much more. A perfect balance between nutrition and sweet decadence.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan, either with liners or a light coating of oil.
- In a large measuring cup, use a fork to mix together the milk, flaxseeds, and vinegar. Mix for about a minute, until it appears foamy. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture. Add the applesauce and vanilla to the well and stir together. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full and bake for 22 to 26 minutes, or until a knife inserted through the center of a muffin comes out clean
5. Let the muffins cool completely, about 20 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges of each muffin to remove them from the pan (if necessary).