I enjoy cooking a special breakfast on Sundays. When I can manage the time, I pull down the waffle iron off the highest shelf in the kitchen and give it a spin. It only happens about once a year, maybe twice. That makes it even more special.
It takes a little patience but it’s definitely worth the time and effort. Frozen waffles off the shelf pale in comparison in terms of flavor–not to mention most brands are extremely high in sodium.
To keep the waffles warm and crispy I lay them directly on the oven rack at about 275 degrees while the rest of the waffles bake on the iron one at a time. I freeze any leftovers for popping in the toaster on those busy weekday mornings. It helps remind me the weekend is just a few days away.
I love a crispy waffle with nice deep pockets to hold all the yummy toppings. These waffles are perfectly sweet addition to my brunch menu.
Blueberry Waffles with Lemon Icing
from “Vegan Yum Yum” by Lauren Ulm
2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3 tbsp. Sugar
2 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Sea salt
2/3 cup Blueberry soy yogurt
1 1/3 cups Non-dairy milk
5 tbsp. Water
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup Powdered sugar
3 tbsp. Non-dairy milk
1 tsp. Lemon juice
1/2 lemon Lemon zest
1. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, except for the blueberries.
3. Preheat your waffle iron.:
4. Combine the wet into the dry ingredients, then gently fold in the berries.
5. Spray your waffle iron with a little bit of cooking oil spray and make a test waffle. Follow the instructions or your preferred directions for your waffle maker.
6. To make the lemon icing, whisk together the sifted powdered sugar, milk, lemon juice and zest until smooth.
7. Recipe yields 10 waffles if you use 1/2 cup batter per waffle.
What a lovely recipe here!! Yummmm!
looks amazing! This reminds me that I’ve been planning to make waffles for way too long haha. gotta try it out this weekend 😀
Yummeh!!! Such a wonderful waffle that would make a great breakfast for me if I could have at least one 🙂
Delicious! And I was just thinking about having a “breakfast for dinner” night.
OMG lemon icing?! YUM!!
Thanks for the comment, Crista! The icing is decadent on these waffles that really don’t need anything. They are delicious plain. I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it as much as I do. Blessings–Melanie
You must log in to post a comment.