A tasty change of pace from traditional tomato sauce, this pesto has such great flavor, you’ll never miss the oil! This sauce freezes well and I always keep it on hand in pizza-size portions.
I pull it out of the freezer at lunchtime and when we are ready for dinner, I spread it out on a store-bought organic whole-grain crust and top with whatever veggies are hanging out in the fridge.
I found this oil-free pesto recipe at fatfreevegan.com.
Recipe by: Susan Voisin
* 3 cups fresh basil (or 2 cups basil and one cup spinach)
* 3-4 large cloves garlic
* 1/4 cup walnuts, pine nuts, or raw cashews
* 1/2 container silken tofu (about 6 ounces)
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
* 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
In food processor, chop garlic and nuts until finely minced. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.